As the next steps become clearer, my process becomes more efficient, and I can make song sketches much faster, while experimenting with new techniques to explore the sounds I'm going for.
For this song, "Secret", I don't have an "inspiration" playlist (yet), and unlike the previous songs, this sketch has some vocal layers. I enjoyed this breakthrough because I could step away from what was becoming a torturous recording/lyric-writing process and practice vocal editing as part of the initial composition.
After a few more listens, I will edit my "inspiration" playlist that can help me communicate the sound I would like in the final production.
The sounds in this song bring in a lot of symbols and inspiration that I will use to explore new lyrics in the future. This idea is based off of a melody idea that I've tried recording and incorporating into previous collaborations. The original lyrics were something like:
Crawl into my universe
And hear the voices call you
And hear the goddess call you
(Stand under the waterfall
The fireflies are slowly flowing
of their eyes)**
The new process allowed me to spend more time honing my editing skills (and determining that Garageband is far more intuitive for editing tracks that Ableton. I also played around with sound effects. This demo really needs crossfading, which is a basic audio engineering technique that I should learn. Also the tracks definitely need more work on sound design and basic mixing.
There was some kind of error I merged and exported the tracks to Dropbox, and they do no line up properly, since their start times were not synced. I will troubleshoot and bounce the tracks again in the future. It also seems like it's not a huge problem for the producer to figure out the arrangement.
I am starting to plan my courses for next semester and am considering either Sound Studio or Electronic Music Performance, where I hope to develop the song ideas from this "Creative Output."